Well, even though it has been since October since I have written seven quick takes, I still like the idea, so I am going to try it again.
So, here are seven quick takes, Spring is Coming style.
1. I can’t wait for it to finally stop snowing. It was another slippery drive to work this morning, accompanied by all the folks who still don’t know how to drive when it snows.
2. I want to plant vegetables this year, on a small scale: either in our flowerbed or in pots. My top pick for inclusion is lettuce because you can plant it over and over and the bunnies love it. I mean the pet bunnies. I hope the wild ones don’t get to it before we do. I also would like to do some tomatoes, even though B doesn’t like them, because I don’t think that there is much in the world better than a garden fresh, still warm from the sun tomato. And B would probably enjoy some hot peppers. As long as I’m doing these, I will want some carrots, and maybe some peas or beans. I don’t want to get carried away, because so far I don’t seem to have much of a green thumb.
3. Lent starts when it is almost spring this year, March 9. It is a late Lent. I haven’t thought much about what I am doing yet. I already don’t eat meat on Fridays, so that won’t be much of a penance to me. In recent years I have given up candy, given up long showers (in favor of short ones), and given up my snooze button. I think I will do the snooze button again this year. I am also thinking about adding more daily Masses.
4. I love the smell of spring air. You can almost smell things growing. I can’t wait.
5. I am excited for the trees to get leaves on them again. The leafless trees are so depressing.
6. It will be great not to have to wear boots to work every day. Of course, it does rain a lot in the spring. Maybe I’ll have to wait until summer for that.
7. I want to walk outdoors. We have been walking in the mall lately and there is so much distraction– all the things I can’t afford to buy, the food I either shouldn’t or don’t want to eat, the slow-moving people. I love seeing everyone’s flowers, the children, people out with their dogs. Walking outdoors will be great.
What are you looking forward to this spring?
Read more quick takes over at Conversion Diary.